Make your own free website on Tripod.com
The Trojan Project (page 2)

   Ok, where was I? I skipped a section on the 1st page, so here it is. After the 2nd coat of epoxy on the bottom, I attached the keelson and 2 stabilizer rails. Then a final coat of West System over them to seal it up tight. Then the paint (VC17, bronze) was applied with a roller. I like the way this paint goes on, it levels itself well and dries FAST! I'll get to my BIG "oops" concerning the bottom paint later.
   Now we're back up to speed. After the sides had a few coats of varnish, I rolled her back upright and started the decks. The front and middle decks were an easy job, the originals, although pretty weathered, were still in the right shape and made perfect patterns. They were originally 1/4" plywood, but I had enough 3/8 mahogany left over from the sides, so they got a little thicker. I had to rabbit the edges to fit into the top trim grooves ( which were cut for the orig. 1/4" deck ), but other wise a straight "trace and cut" procedure.
    Next came the replacement of the deck trim. The front deck piece had broken off on one corner and I couldn't find the piece to glue it back on, so it got rounded off and the other end was shortened to match. The rear deck trim was fine and was simply replaced. The king plank on the forward deck was in descent shape, but had a bunch of holes in it where some equipment had been removed. I was going to make a new one, then decided to leave it for "character". At this point, I also trimmed the top edge of the transom to fit the top side trim ( I couldn't get to it effectively when it was upside down ).  The top side mahogany trim wasn't in bad shape, except for one 6" section that had some dry rot. I cut out the rot and spliced in a new piece of 5/4" mahogany, then sanded it to match the original contour. I tried out the stain to see how different the new piece would look next to the original, WAY off. I ended up bleaching the entire top trim a few times, and it evened out pretty well. You can see the splice if you're looking for it, but it's not noticeable.
    I removed the decks for staining as they were to be a lighter color ( Petit Light Mahogany Filler stain ). While the top trim was drying, I stained the decks and worked on the seats. All but one of the seat sections were in good shape, the back rest of the rear seat would have to be repaired or replaced. It had warped and cracked through the middle lengthwise, but wasn't rotted at all. I decided on fix instead of replace. I cut the cracked section out of the middle ( only about 1 1/2" wide ) and glued in new mahogany, again bleaching the whole piece to blend in the new wood. Then all the sections, along with the front and rear dash boards, were sanded and stained with the dark mahogany.
   In between the staining, drying, varnishing, drying cycle, I got started on the floor and insides. I decided to stain the inner sides to match the outter, and paint the floor grey with a black stripe seperating them along the boot stripe on the outter. I chose a West Marine primer and floor paint that went on nice and so far has proven to be durable. I stained the inner sides, then primed the floor, got out and added a varnish coat to the top side, then the seats, decks and dashes. When the top side varnish was dry, I'd start over again. It was quite an operation for a few days. 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint for the floor, 5 coats of varnish ( I think, might be more. I lost count and kept coating it until it looked nice and even) on the trim, decks, dashes, inner sides, and seats. When all this had dried , I put the stripe on the inside ( boot top black) and started putting the interior back together. There was a dividing wall that went between the front cockpit and the underside of the bow, I had decided to leave it out for more leg room.  Once everything was back in place, I put the final few coats of varnish on the exterior.

Page 3